The Beurer® Blood Pressure Monitor (BM 57) is an easy-to-use upper arm blood pressure sensor for momentary readings as a standalone device and in OpenSignals use.
Learn how to use this device with your next biosignals recordings and more in this article.
- Upper arm cuff-based blood pressure monitor
- Compatible with biosignalsplux and BITalino products in OpenSignals Desktop
- Standalone: record data without PLUX devices using the device’s built-in display (up to 60 readings)
- Bluetooth Low Energy (BLE)-enabled (support for OpenSignals & PLUX APIs coming in 2024)
- Momentary systolic and diastolic blood pressure readings & heart rate extraction
- Cuff circumference: 23 to 43 cm
- Battery-powered: 2x 1.5V AA batteries (included)
- Product Dimensions: 9.4 x 1.6 x 6.4 cm
- Product Weight: 349g (incl. cuff, excl. batteries)
The Blood Pressure monitor consists of the following interfaces which will be referenced during the first set up and use of the device.
② Cuff line
③ Cuff connector
⑤ Memory buttons (M1/M2)
⑥ START/STOP button
⑦ Risk indicator
⑧ Cuff input
⑨ Auxiliary port
Device Display Information
② Systolic pressure
③ Diastolic pressure
④ Calculated pulse value
⑤ Pulse symbol
⑥ Release air (arrow)
⑦ Memory space
⑧ Risk indicator
⑨ Battery display symbol
(10) Cardia arrythmia symbol
(11) User memory
(12) Bluetooth symbol
First Time Use
The Beurer® Blood Pressure Monitor (BM 57) comes with everything needed to record blood pressure data.
When using the device for the first time, a few steps are needed to configure the date and time of the device for the results to be stored on the device’s internal memory:
- Unpack the content of your blood monitor
- Remove the battery cover on the back of the blood monitor and insert the 2x AA batteries found in the cuff into the blood monitor. Place the battery cover back onto the blood pressure monitor.
- Turn the device on by pressing the START/STOP button ⑥
- You’ll be guided through a setup process to set the current date and time.
- Use the Memory Buttons (M1/M2) ⑤ to increase or decrease your input accordingly.
- Confirm your entry by pressing the START/STOP button ⑥
- Repeat step 5. and 6. until the set up process is completed
Measuring Blood Pressure Data
Placing the Sensor
Place the cuff of the blood pressure monitor by following the instructions below. You may also find visual instructions on the cuff itself.
Place the cuff ① on to the bare upper arm. The circulation of the arm must not be hindered by tight clothing or similar. The cuff must be placed on the upper arm so that the bottom edge is positioned 2 – 3 cm above the elbow and over the artery. The line should point to the centre of the palm.
Tighten the free end of the cuff, but make sure that it is not too tight around the arm and close the hook- and-loop fastener. The cuff should be fastened so that two fingers fit under the cuff.
Insert the cuff line ② into the connection for the cuff connector ⑧.
Recording Blood Pressure Data
Turn the device on by pressing the START/STOP button ⑥. The device will start the measurement immediately and the cuff will start to inflate.
Once the measurement is completed, the blood pressure and heart rate results will be shown on the device’s screen in the Systolic pressure ②, Diastolic pressure ③ and calculated pulse value ④ fields.
Logging the results in OpenSignals Desktop
Results recorded by this device can be manually logged into your OpenSignals recordings during real-time acquisition and in post-processing using the Manual Measurements tool.
Learn everything you need in the dedicated support article here:
Documentation and Other Information
- Beurer® Blood Pressure Monitor (BM 57) – User Manual
- Beurer® Blood Pressure Monitor (BM 57) – Datasheet
Beurer provides their own line of health apps for their products. These apps may be available free of charge in the iOS App Store and Google Play store but are not compatible with PLUX software. PLUX does not provide any support for native Beurer apps.